Thursday, June 12, 2014

Adventures in (Needle) Felting

Felting... I've done it. I've done it with hats and it was quite fun.

And when a friend told me that he needed some gloves for when he was out working his trap lines (nothing fancy he said, just thick, warm, and functional) I figured a felted glove would be just the thing. So I knitted up and felted the gloves. But much to my surprise...


You'll note that despite my knitting them both exactly the same, try as I might one felted up with a larger thumb.

Note to self: difficulties may arise when felting down sets of items rather than just a simple, single object, like say for example, a hat.

So where my washing machine was failing me I decided to give my felting needle a try. I've done needle felting before, it's fun, felting little animals, cute little frogs ect... Surly it must be possible to needle felt a wool thumb down a bit.

What follows is the way that I handled the problem, I'm not sure if it's the right way, but it is how I dealt with it and I think it turned out quite well.


I snipped the thumb once...

Then quartered it...


Then thinned the layers a bit.


I then put the thumb over the handle of a broomstick, overlapped the quarters and needle felted them together (It helps if the broomstick is the kind with a hole in the handle for hanging up the broom, this allows you do get a bit more depth with the needle).



I then turned it inside out and needle felted the inside along the thumb's edge.


Then I added in some extra wool by throwing a few stitches in there with a blunt tipped needle, and washed the glove again. A little more needle felting and...


Done and done :)


Much better


The final result, with my husband lending man hands to the modeling of the gloves :)





No comments: