Friday, January 18, 2008

Sideways Knit Raw Silk Vest


It's finished, my first ever sideways knit and my first time working with raw silk. It was quite fun. I think if I ever use raw silk again I'll use metal needles as the plastic did get a bit stiff. It did force me to use a looser gadge which could have been a good thing.

If anyone's curious about the pattern you can find it here...

http://www.ample-knitters.com/mid-xpress.html

I found the perfect hook clasps over at Joann's, They are a copper color and have a sort of deep burgundy stone set in which I think works quite well. I may try to redye the vest a deeper color later as my first dying attempt did not go as dark as I planned. No worries, the darker trim I used is synthetic (I felt safe doing this as the raw silk doesn't seem to shrink in the least) so it shouldn't pick up too much of a color change if I redye the raw silk bits. Overall I'm quite happy with it, now I need to wear it with a proper dress shirt. The tee was just to try it on now and then while I was working on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Smiley Fuzzball checking in to her Royal Knittiness' Website, via my bookmarked page:

Like wow, really neat vest man!
Love, the mosaic coat for Archie!
The Coat of Many Cables, for Michia was lovely :0)
Finally, if you don't make yourself a Dr. Who Scarf, I think you will be forever in the tragically unfashionable world of Dr. Who fans. Just think if you could do one before the next Dr. Who Convention? How cool would that be?!??!?!?!?!?
Totally hip and happenin' website, my knitter chickadee. You rock! Thanks for all the updates. I will post more comments this year, I promise :0)
Love, Smiley Fuzzball